In the United States, adult obesity has been climbing for decades, and it’s far more common than many people realize. In fact, nearly two-thirds of American adults are categorized as overweight or obese.
WHAT IS OBESITY Body Mass Index, or BMI, is a value based on the weight and height of a person, and it is used to determine if someone is underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese.
A BMI of 25 or more categorizes a person as overweight, while a BMI of 30 or more categorizes a person as being obese. Obesity is a risk factor for, and symptom of a variety of long term illnesses including Diabetes, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure and even Strokes.
LOSE WEIGHT TO LIVE LONGER
Obesity heavily increases the likelihood of premature death, and those odds climb higher and higher the more overweight a person gets, with an individual with a BMI of 40 or higher being 3 times more likely to die than someone at a healthy weight. This is true not just in those that are middle aged or older, as a person that is obese in their 20s has a life expectancy that is on average 10 years less than someone who has a normal weight.
Obesity hits the bank account as well, with obese individuals sometimes having yearly medical costs that are over $1400 more than a healthy person.
LOSE WEIGHT TO PREVENT CHRONIC ILLNESS Obesity is linked to a higher risk for over 60 chronic conditions including:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Disease, the leading cause of death in the US
- High Blood Pressure
- Various forms of Cancer
- Sleep Apnea
- Infertility and irregular periods
- Sexual issues like Erectile Dysfunction
RISK FACTORS FOR WEIGHT GAIN
Weight is gained when the body takes in more calories than it uses and then stores the excess calories as fat. Most of the time this is due to lifestyle choices like poor diet and lack of activity, but those aren’t the only factors that make someone more likely to gain weight.
Obesity tends to run in families due to genetics, but also because families tend to have similar habits, diets, and socioeconomic statuses.
Other outside factors include stress, inadequate amounts of sleep, gut health, and mental barriers created by previous attempts to lose weight.
The thyroid is a gland in the neck that secretes hormones that control our metabolism, which is the process our body uses to convert the food we consume into energy.
When the Thyroid doesn’t produce its hormones as much as it should, it slows the metabolism, and can make it easier to become overweight and more difficult to lose that weight. An inactive or overactive Thyroid can also throw your hormones out of whack-a key factor in weight gain.
Oftentimes getting our metabolisms back on track requires treatment intervention to jump start your endocrine system. Obesity and weight gain (or loss) is like many other symptoms in the body – they are often a result of a chain reaction of other issues. To address them requires getting to the root cause of your symptoms; in this case, weight gain – and addressing those factors (in this case either an overactive or inactive Thyroid & hormones) while adding lifestyle changes to the mix.
THE JOURNEY OF LOSING WEIGHT AND KEEPING IT OFF
Managing a healthy weight, or losing a few pounds requires lifestyle changes:
- Drink more water,
- Eat healthier foods with lots of nutrients
- Stop eating foods that are high in saturated fat, calories, and sugar
- Create a healthy workout/exercise regimen
- Be mindful of what situations cause you to overindulge
- Don’t get discouraged
- Be consistent
But weight management isn’t just about working out, chugging a gallon of water a day and counting calories, or macros, or following extreme diets. The best way to get to an optimal weight that makes you happy and keeps you healthy, is to really look at what’s going on inside the body. Ways2Well uses a comprehensive lab panel to assess nutrient levels, endocrine performance, nutritional deficiencies and underlying risk factors that may be contributing to frustrating weight issues. Looking at the entire picture internally and externally, instead of just assessing what you see in the mirror – makes a huge difference in effective treatment plans and the ability to lose unwanted pounds. You have to know what you’re dealing with before you decide to launch a protein only diet! It could be as simple as optimizing your hormones and getting some healthy physical activity in your routine.
Fortunately, you don’t have to do it all alone. Ways2Well uses many tools to help you lose weight and keep yourself healthy.
Many vitamins, minerals, and hormones play a significant role in our health and weight, and not having enough or too much of them makes it more difficult for us to maintain a healthy weight. One of our comprehensive blood tests can remove some of these hurdles by telling you which nutrients you may be lacking, and which hormones you may be overproducing.
Testosterone affects almost everything in a males body, and low testosterone levels can lead to stubborn weight gain that you struggle to lose. Testosterone Replacement Therapy can give you more energy, a better metabolism, and improve your muscle growth so that you can shed pounds and build a stronger body more easily.
It’s not just for the guys though! Although testosterone is considered a male sex hormone, women produce small amounts of testosterone in their ovaries and adrenal glands. Together with the female sex hormone estrogen, testosterone plays a role in the growth and maintenance of female reproductive tissue and bone mass. Low libido, weight gain, and changes in mood are all common signs of low testosterone levels. Low testosterone over a long period of time may also contribute to more serious issues like heart disease, poor memory, and loss of bone density.
ReVitamin is a proprietary compound that improves insulin sensitivity, weight loss management, metabolic function, and gut health. ReVitamin is created using a variety of important vitamins that address bone health, immune system health, fatigue, cell function, anti-aging and stress management; all of which are essential to optimal health.
- NAD+ /5mg: NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) is a key component to regulating a healthy metabolism, protecting cells, and preventing some of the effects of aging. Low NAD+ levels have been linked to health concerns like aging and chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and vision loss.
- L-Theanine /100mg: L-Theanine is a naturally-derived amino acid that has several potential benefits. Research suggests that it increases focus, aids in stress relief, and can improve inflammation.
- Thiamine /1 mg: Thiamine (also known as Vitamin B1): helps the body utilize energy from food. Thiamine supplementation can help prevent fatigue, regulate metabolism, and support the immune system.
- L-Methylfolate /1mg:L-Methylfolate is a Folic Acid supplement that helps your body produce and regulate cells. Studies also suggest that it can improve mood and support heart health.
- B-12 /1500mg: Vitamin B-12 is an essential component to red blood cell formation, cell metabolism, and nerve function. Research suggests that B-12 is beneficial to heart health, brain health, and energy levels.
- Vitamin D /1000iu: Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that is found in several foods and is also produced by the body as a response to sun exposure. An estimated 42% of Americans are deficient in Vitamin D., which can result in weaker bones, mood swings, low energy, and chronic disease.
Glucose Support is a great anti-aging vitamin compound that also addresses weight management. With a blend of Berberine HCL, Chromium, DHEA, Alpha-Lipoic Acid and Resveratrol, this vitamin is also great for hormone optimization.
- Berberine HCL/350mg: Berberine is a plant-derived complex that can help regulate blood sugar levels and improve metabolism.
- DHEA /10mg: DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is a hormone that activates receptors in your body that determine how you metabolize and store fat.
- Resveratrol /5mg: Resveratrol is a plant-derived compound that acts like an antioxidant. It can help reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol, and prevent insulin resistance.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid/150mg: Alpha-Lipoic Acid is an antioxidant that can improve fat metabolism, collagen production, and blood glucose control.
- Chromium/60mcg : Chromium Picolinate is a mineral that is known to enhance the metabolism and storage of carbohydrates, fat, and protein.
Losing weight can feel difficult and discouraging, but Ways2Well provides both expert advice and treatments that can make it easier than ever to live better, healthier, and longer.